Car Accident Lawsuit in Vermont

If you have been involved in a car accident in Vermont, many questions may be running through your mind about the various legal consequences and your rights. Potential medical costs, who was at fault and insurance claims may be just a few of issues you may need to navigate. When deciding what the best course of action should be, contact the personal injury lawyers at our law firm to assist you in protecting your rights and receiving just compensation for any damages you may have incurred as the result of your accident.

Car Accidents Are Personal Injury Cases

When involved in a car accident, personal injuries are typically the result of another individual or corporation’s negligence leading to your injuries and damages. Such damages may take the form of medical costs, lost work and pay or any immediate/long term pain and suffering caused by the accident.

Always Contact A Medical Healthcare After A Car Accident

Contacting your doctor or a health professional should be a priority if you have been involved in a car accident. Not only do many injuries from car accidents surface, hours, days or sometimes weeks after an accident, but you need to begin the documentation of the physical damages that you may have sustained. Medical costs can often become a large component of any car accident and therefore seeking a medical professional to assess your physical and mental health after your accident not only protects your health but may give you better insight into how long you may be out of work or any long-term assistance you may need.

When Should I Contact A Lawyer?

After your car accident you may have sought medical assistance and filed a claim with your insurance company. Another important step for you will be to contact a lawyer to further explore your financial rights and obligations for payment of your bills. In general you should not sign any agreement to a settlement before you contact your lawyer. Such an agreement may bar you from filing a personal injury claim and receiving just compensation. Personal injury claims in Vermont have a three-year statute of limitations. That means, from the date of your car accident you will have three years to file your lawsuit against the negligent party. The three-year limitations is a strict deadline, which means it is best to contact a lawyer soon after your accident so they may begin the process for you.

What If I Am Also At Fault For The Car Accident?

If you were also at fault in the car accident you may still be entitled to compensation. Vermont is a comparative-fault state. A comparative fault state will award you compensation in consideration of how much at fault you were for the car accident. For example, if you were found to be 15% of the blame and the other negligent person was found to be 85% of the blame, the at-fault person will be required to pay only 85% of your total damages. As long as you are not more at fault than the potential defendant, recovery is possible even if your actions partially contributed to the accident.

Contact A Lawyer

There are many factors to consider when you have been involved in a car accident. The negligent party or insurance companies may even pressure you to settle a claim quickly before speaking to a lawyer. To best protect your rights after a car accident contact the personal injury lawyers at Cleary Shahi & Aicher, P.C. before you sign anything. We will assist you in protecting your rights and ensuring you receive proper compensation for your damages.

Contact Us

  • Please DO NOT provide the details of your claim. Please ONLY PROVIDE the parties involved and the type matter so we can have a chance to determine if there are any conflicts of legal representation that may exist.
  • The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.