Karen S. Heald
Karen S. Heald, Esq.
Location: Rutland, Vermont
Contact: Contact Me
Ms. Heald was born in Proctor, Vermont. She received her B.S. in Professional Nursing from the University of Vermont, and her J.D. from Franklin Pierce Law Center. She was admitted to the New York State Bar and the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of New York in 1990, and practiced with the firm of Thaler & Thaler in Ithaca. She moved to Boston in 1992 and worked with Plymouth Rock Assurance Company as a medical/legal consultant, before deciding to return to Vermont. She was admitted to the Vermont Bar, the Vermont Supreme Court, and the U.S. District Court for the District of Vermont in 1994, joining the firm that same year. She specializes in Medical Professional Liability and Health Law, combining her training in both nursing and the law to provide comprehensive services on complex medical and legal issues.
Ms. Heald’s practice includes defending medical and dental negligence cases for hospitals, health care providers, and various mental health organizations. She also provides counsel to health care professionals for professional board complaints. She has developed an extensive network of health care experts in connection with the defense of medical and dental negligence claims in the areas of nursing, surgery, anesthesia, orthopedics, obstetrics, cancer, cardiac, emergency care and radiology.
She is an avid skier, and enjoys cooking and gardening. She resides in Rutland with her husband, Chris, their son, Lucas, and black Labrador, Cosmo.
Areas of Practice
- Medical Professionals and Health Care Providers
- New York, 1990
- Vermont, 1994
- U.S. District Court Northern District of New York, 1990
- U.S. District Court District of Vermont, 1994
- Franklin Pierce Law Center, Concord, New Hampshire (J.D. – 1989)
- University of Vermont (B.S. – 1986)
- Major: Professional Nursing
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Defense Research Institute, Member
- New York Bar Association, Member
- Vermont Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- Northern New England Defense Counsel Association, Member